

SASSH February Board Meeting Minutes

Ciara Rahming (**CR**), Anam Wahid (**AW**), Natasha Noto (**NN**), Brehanna Robinson (**BR**), Keith Dayate (**KD**), Alexander Zaleski (**AZ**), Yunes Tabibzadeh (**YT**), Ellis Park (**EP**), Melody Schroecker (**MS**), Marium Khan (**MK**), Aisha Zubair (**AIZ**), Sani Bediako (**SB**), Angus Li (**AL**), Meia Mathura (**MM**), Lucas Paliouras-Loureiro (**LPL**), Kashaf Alvi (**KA**), Andrii Shumilin (**AS**), Harjas Toor (**HT**), Sara Xhango (**SX**), Ricardo Valderrama (**RV**)

Late Arrivals:

Regrets:

Chair: Claire Cornacchia (**CC**)

Manager: Josel Angelica Gerardo (**JAG**)

Secretary: Sara Xhango (**SX**)

TABLE OF CONTENTS

Item 1.0 - Call to Order

Item 2.0 - Approval of the Agenda

Item 3.0 - Managerial Updates

Item 4.0 - Student Group Application [**Presentation**]

Item 4.1 - Student Group Application [**Question and Discussion Period**]

Item 4.2 - Student Group Application [**Voting Period**]

Item 5.0 - Financial Updates [**Presentation**]

Item 5.1 - Financial Updates [**Question and Discussion Period**]

Item 6.0 - Board Updates

Item 7.0 - Action Items

Item 8.0 - Adjournment

Item 1.0 - Call to Order (6:10PM)

CC: Hello folks on Zoom, we are going to get started. We have quorum in the room with us. I was just saying to everyone that I have a hard stop at 8 o'clock so we are going to try and keep things timely this evening but I think we should be good because the agenda is relatively short and sweet and our presenters are already here. Let's go ahead and approve the agenda. We will go ahead with the first item on the agenda which is Managerial Remarks from none other than your Manager. There is also a link in the agenda to a document I imagine you folks can access so feel free to open that up on your device. **JAG**, the floor is all yours.

Item 2.0 - Approval of the Agenda (6:11PM)

Motioned by: CC

In Favour: 14 Against: 0 Abstentions: 1

Item 3.0 - Managerial Updates (6:12PM)

JAG: I would first like to say that we have all agreed that September to April Board Meetings are in person because that is something that all of you agreed upon but also it's a respect for everyone else that are in this room right now who made the effort to be in person. If next time you need accommodations because you are sick and would like to still join, please make sure that you are communicating that with myself, **RV**, and **SX**. Second, SPROUT went well. A few observations, including interactions with industry professionals. I'm just saying this because **YT** and **LPL** are organizing a lot of amazing events for Women Talks and Celebrating Success and there are a lot of industry professionals that are coming to those events. None of the industry professionals that were invited to SPROUT were greeted by SPROUT folks. That is very unfortunate because they have made the time and effort to come in person to join SPROUT and provide their expertise. In the upcoming events with industry professionals, please use your time and effort as well to interact with them, say hello, greet them, and introduce yourselves as part of the Board. It is basic respect for the time they are putting in voluntarily outside of their jobs because they want to contribute to your professional development as alumni and industry professionals. Third, SASSH Finances. We have had a lot of hard conversations about finances. **KA**, **RV**, and I alongside the Dean's Office, there will be an audit coming soon. An audit from the University means they will go through every single finances and policies that we have and we have to make sure that it is up to par to the expectations of the University. With this, they have looked into our P-Card expenses from the last term and they have rejected our P-Card reconciliation for the Lulu Bar expense. Because it is above the meal per diem that was under the financial prudence and sustainability status of the University as all linked here. As you can see, the Lulu Bar receipt had a total of \$1,254.53 and only 10 people attended. The Dean's Office has come to a conclusion that each person who attended that team social has to pay the University back \$125 per person. I have listed all the names of the folks that attended the event. Instructions for repayment, you have to write a cheque to Toronto Metropolitan University with the amount of \$125.45 and then the note section adds that it is for SASSH and add the cost centre number. Please drop off your cheque to myself by Friday, March 13th. This is a reminder that all of what you are doing is very important and has consequences if not followed properly. We just want to make sure for the rest of the term that we are following the processes as outlined in the events and projected checklist linked here which all of you have been copied on every time I send it to the Course Unions and Student Groups. Does anyone have any questions about anything I said?

LPL: Our P-Cards are unaffected currently?

JAG: No.

LPL: Okay. Our ability to make payments in the future won't be affected?

JAG: No.

LPL: Okay.

CC: If there are no other questions for **JAG**, there is a document there for folks to review. Folks on Zoom, it's attached to the Agenda for you to access. I imagine if anyone has questions for **JAG** or other matters, you can also contact her directly. The next item on the Agenda I believe is our only voting matter this evening is a Student Group application for Haus of MetU to become an official Student Group under the SASSH. I believe our friends from the Student Group are in the hallway, **SX** can you go grab them?

JAG: If you are joining online, please turn on your camera as instructed before whenever you attend virtually.

Item 4.0 - Student Group Application [Presentation] (6:18PM)

CC: Hello Haus of MetU. Hello Haus of MetU. We're in a bit of a tight room this evening, so apologies that this is the meeting you're attending when we are usually in one of the other Boardrooms upstairs, but nonetheless we're excited to hear your presentation. There are some folks joining virtually and they can hear us via my computer here. We'll just make sure those slides are shared via our Zoom call as well. If this is your first time presenting at a SASSH meeting, welcome. My name is CC. I chair the SASSH Board. I'm Faculty of Arts alumni, I am not currently a student here, I am not a voting member in any capacity. I'm just here to make sure that you are treated fairly during this presentation and that the Board is treated fairly during this presentation. You'll have approximately 10 minutes to present. It'll be followed by an approximate 5 minute question period, where the Board can ask you some questions about your group and your presentation and then you folks will be free to go, and SASSH will be in touch with you in the near future with the decision.

Justine Rose De Leon: Hello guys, we are the Haus of MetU, I'm **Justine Rose De Leon**. I am the Co-Founder and Co-President.

Esther: I'm **Esther**, I am also the Co-Founder and Co-President.

Anna: I'm **Anna** and I am in charge of internal operations.

Justine Rose De Leon: Perfect. We wanted to start with a question. How many of you guys know a queer person within the Faculty of Arts? Show of hands. But how many of you guys know a queer Student Group within the Faculty? That's our issue. Us queer students, we found that there is not a lot of representation for us and us queer students have found that there is not a lot of representation for us and there is not a lot of spaces. TMU, even though it's very heteronormative and a lot of times it is very queer, we wanted to let you know that we are adhering to section 2.3 of the Student Group Policy of having over 50% of Faculty of Arts students within our Executive team. The full team breakdown is 90% Faculty of Arts students in our Executive team and 10% in the Creative Industries. That said,

our Student Group's mission is to create a safe space for queer students to create a feeling of belonging, sense of community, and make 1 on 1 connections. We want to make them feel as though they are seen, we know they are here, and we are there for them. This student group is queer student focused, meaning they will be our primary but they are welcome to bring their Valentina's, that is queer for allies.

Esther: We started this Student Group during a conversation where the topic of socializing in school came up. We concluded that making friends on campus is extremely hard, especially for commuter students. Since we go home at the end of the day, we're not as connected to the school as a whole. The sentiment is also shared by resident students, we see TikToks or tweets about how lonely the university experience really is. We believe that the vanishing of third spaces is contributing to this collective loneliness, so we decided to create our own third space, which is our Haus of MetU.

Justine Rose De Leon: A little background as a sociology student, third spaces or places are defined by Oldenburg as the great good places that could foster community and a sense of belonging within students. It also helps to have 1-on-1 connection, which in turn is called networking.

Anna: This third space is also a no-phone zone. It's meant to help students make connections in real life and do activities that don't require them to use their phones. Digital third spaces are valid, however one can risk being trapped in an echo chamber and they miss out on in-person or physical connections and the ability to improvise or volley in person. One doesn't have time to think of witty responses in person, so it trains your social skills, keeping you alert and present throughout the interaction. This is a skill that can be carried into the labour force, post university, as well as strengthening their networking skills, which can ease job searching processes after your graduation. In other words, touching grass is good for you.

Justine Rose De Leon: Overall, our mission will translate to various events, starting with allowing our students to vote on upcoming events. Our first event will actually be getting together with stand-up comedy. Our biggest objective is to alleviate stress because it's midterms season and stress is involved with school life. Within stand up comedy, it's a little scary so it will help our students to build that confidence in putting themselves out there in a way. Let's have fun.

Esther: Another fun event we plan on having is line dancing. I started going line dancing this summer, and it's been one of the greatest experiences I've ever had. I always leave completely energized and worn out with all the healthy cardio, and it's such a warm and safe space that makes me feel a sense of belonging. Therefore, I would like to share this feeling with the rest of the TMU students because I believe that hosting line dancing events would give students a great time, but most importantly, a queer community.

Justine Rose De Leon: This is going to be an out of TMU event. It is to showcase that there are a lot of clear spaces that are being removed and increasing the difficulty of accessibility to these spaces. There are still many queer organizations that are interested in putting ourselves back in these spaces. It will provide an additional queer community for all queer students within the Faculty of Arts and allow them to bring that community that they have fostered in our Student Groups outside of TMU.

Esther: On a more lighthearted note, slop events. For example, Heated Rivalry nights, performative masc lesbian contests, or fire situation events. Inspired by one of my favourite Youtubers where he asks the question of are all events slob now? He talks about the way content has impacted all aspects of our life, and how we gather is no exception. It's taking back control from nightlife gatekeepers like high ticket prices, club bouncers, age restrictions, and

putting it back in the hands of the people in a more affordable way. Giving people a sense of adventure that we crave, especially if you grew up chronically online. Some of the events where we kind of larp at whatever pop culture phenomenon is trending at the time. From lookalike contests to oil wrestling, boxing your evil situationship, people are looking for reasons to gather. Slop events have taken online discourse and made it into something you could actually be a part of. If slop events are what it takes for young people to connect in real life, then yes, we will attend the Timothy Chalamet look alike contest. We want to do more 'niche' events. Every club does, like, a pain and sip, a game night, which we might do, but we want to do things that people really want to do but don't know they want to do yet. For example, music video nights, which are normally like a white gay male thing, but as a black woman, I have these with my sister all the time. It's basically just a rotation of music videos you really like, and we just bond over our favourite pop artists.

Anna: We will of course be having some classic queer events like a ballroom night where students can volunteer to either vogue or walk face, realness, fashion, etc, as well as immersive drag nights that involve drag performance. We want to hold events that get students involved with drag, drag makeovers, and lip syncs. It's to educate queer students in the importance of ballroom and the importance of ballroom in fostering community within the queer community itself, throughout history. It also allows them that freedom of expression where there is no judgement, and they are just able to express their queerness without biases, fear, and our anxiety of being outed.

Justine Rose De Leon: It is also going to be our last final event during the winter semester because we wanted to go with a bang before Pride Month. This will set up our upcoming Spring and Summer events and this will showcase the full power of the Haus of MetU. The community that we have managed to foster, and our biggest final goal for our students here is just to enjoy ourselves. It is to show that no matter what happens, their second family here at TMU will always be there for them, no matter the outcome of their karaoke skills or their grades. With that said, we just want to thank you for taking time out of your busy schedules. And I know that one of the biggest issues that we have is with queer spaces constantly being removed. We wanted a solid space where people can just come back to with no judgement whatsoever. And one of the biggest things we want to say is that we're here to let people know that we're going to stay. We are queer, and we will make sure that we are seen at the same time, and we are a safe space after all.

Item 4.1 - Student Group Application [Question and Discussion Period] (6:31PM)

CC: Thank you so much Haus of MetU. Um, folks on SASSH, any questions for our presenters about their presentation or any of the information attached in the agenda?

SB: Great presentation. I just wanted to confirm something. You guys didn't really bring up any costs in your presentation. Yeah. So I just wanted to know, 'cause I'm reading over your package, it's the \$330 what you want from us or what you're gonna pay?

Justine Rose De Leon: No, this is specifically just SASSH. This is all that we're asking for for now, honestly. One of the biggest things that we wanted to do was we're concerned about accessibility. A lot of times, monetary values are the biggest issues. We're students, guys, we don't have a lot of money, so we can't afford to go to cafes all the time, going to tea parties. So we wanted to do it in a way where we'll do it on a budget. So that's 330 is actually divided into over 4 events.

LPL: Great presentation. I just wanted to know, these are all the events that you guys presented you plan on hosting in the winter semester?

Justine Rose De Leon: Yes actually. There will be specific events. As well, one of our biggest focuses was doing weekly events and mingling and that is what we have asked our students because again, we are commuters. A lot of times we don't have a lot of time to go out. I don't want to spend an hour on the bus just to go out. We actually asked our students what would be the best time for them. This is what we came up with. Four events within the span of a month and a half. Honestly speaking, what we wanted to do as well was most of our events, or at least half of our events, was line dancing, it will be out of TMU because we also wanted to showcase queer spaces outside of TMU, if they don't feel comfortable here, their friends might come by and they don't want to be known as queer. So we just wanted to show that extra resources that we have available.

EP: I was looking at your members list. I know this pitch is for the Winter Semester but just for continuity, you guys are planning on continuing in the following year?

Justine Rose De Leon: Yes. We are going to continue this completely. We have actually already hired 3 new members. One of them is from SPROUT this year and then we have 2 other members that are interested. A lot of the time, we just wanted to emphasize that we are students first and you are not supposed to commit your entire day to it. That's why we are trying to get as many Executives so it's spread out. Of course, I will do all of the overseeing and the operations. External, internal, all the finances, that will all be me. **Esther** will help a lot with events and then we have our other friend who will be the Chair of Marketing, then we will have other people under them as well. This will continue yearly.

NN: I'm just curious to know what the response you got from the Faculty of Arts population was like. Do you guys have an Instagram as well?

Justine Rose De Leon: Yes, we do have an Instagram account and then this picture that you see is our watermark and our profile picture. Ever since we've started our Instagram account, we are at 30 followers now, and we've been around for around 2 weeks. We've also had a lot of people talking. We also have our posters up now. So the first thing that you saw was our poster. It's a collage of queer icons, and at the bottom is an RSVP form.

SB: What does Haus stand for? Is it an acronym?

Justine Rose De Leon: Haus actually comes from ballroom. Within ballroom, the history of ballroom is to kind of find where people are. Within ballroom, there is a competition or houses competing. Think of Game of Thrones, House of Stark, things like that. In ballroom, it signifies your adopted mother, father, sisters, even though we are not talking about biology or blood, we are just the house and a safe space.

Esther: Like your chosen family.

Justine Rose De Leon: This is very queer. If you are not queer or don't know ballroom that well, Haus can get a bit confusing but that is why you spell it HAUS. The gay spelling.

RV: If you do become a group under SASSH, what do you see in the next academic year on how you're planning your events? Do you have a vision of what you want to see with the student group?

Justine Rose De Leon: We actually have a plan for Spring and Summer and also Fall semester already. One of our Spring events is a queer Bridgerton Tea Party. We are going to dress up and look fantastic and of course the queen will judge. Another big thing that we actually do is I'm in contact with a few drag queens that are interested in coming to TMU to educate us on what drag is about and even teaching us on how to do drag. That is going to be one of our drag events where we will be doing Drag Night and we are watching Canadian Drag Race. We'll do drag makeup, we'll do Vogue, and then lip syncing and lip sync battles. In June, which is Pride Month, we are actually coming up with an event where all queer students are going to celebrate pride altogether, going to the parade, and going to one of our queer spaces. One of our friends knows a queer area where they host events and parties. Unfortunately, even though this event will be 19+ and that will be one of our main focuses in June. In July, we were talking about a queer beach night where we can go and sing campfire songs, get some mocktails going, s'mores, etc. When we get into Fall, Fall is one of our favourite times but it can be stressful because of Thanksgiving and judgement from your family can come around. With that, we want to do a 'Thanks-Gay' which is a day before Thanksgiving. We'll do a potluck, and we will say thank you to each other. We also wanted to do a Halloween Gay Party where you can dress as your favourite queer icon. You can do drag or whatever you want to do. I think the last one that we wanted to do was a winter gay night. So it will be more of a Christmas or wintery event, where it's gonna be similar to ballroom, where they're gonna wear winter outfits, vogues, performing Christmasy wintertime. So don't worry, we'll stay, and you'll see our events.

Esther: During the Fall, we will also have a house party which is house music and ballroom. We do have a lot of planning and we hope to see everybody there.

Justine Rose De Leon: Haus of MetU is where you meet people like you.

CC: I think we're good on questions, so thank you folks so much for your presentation and for answering the questions that the board had. You're welcome to be on your way this evening and the SASSH Board will be in touch with the decision at any relevant next steps.

LPL: As the resident straight white guy, I'll second this. I think it's a great initiative and I think it's true what they say that there's a lack of a third space for this community specifically within the Faculty of Arts, and they're obviously very ambitious. They've got a lot of plans, and it's obviously very well thought out. So I think it's no brainer.

CR: Pretty much the same thing. I think it is a great initiative. I love the events that they're playing on hosting in the community they are planning on building, especially through the summer. I think that's a great idea for students that are staying here.

EP: A question for clarification. I know that, because they're talking about some of their future events. When I think **Justine** mentioned the beach night. I just wanted to know a bit more about liability.

CC: I imagine as with any group including SASSH when you are doing events. There are ExploreTMU forms and processes in which the group goes through. Similar to the trips that Student Groups organize, they go through processes with the SASSH Manager to ensure liability waivers and those things are done. When those events come into fruition, those processes will need to be followed. They are welcome to include them in their plans as they mentioned.

KA: Are we also approving their budget or just them as a Student Group?

CC: The budget is in the application package. I don't have access to it so I was borrowing it from **RV's** computer. So they have some projected expenses for events. Maybe **KA** yourself or **JAG** can remind me. Student groups have a chit?

KA: It would be next year for them, because they'd need to be a Student Group for a year, and then they'd have a chit account.

CC: In that example then, let's say the board approves them as a Student Group under SASSH this evening. They would likely then have to just come to a Finance Committee meeting or a Board Meeting, depending on the amount of funding they're seeking for the events and when the events are going to happen to get that funding if they're not gonna have access to the chit right away. Whereas I guess in future years, they can just choose to withdraw from their chit or however that element works. Correct?

JAG: Yes.

KA: So just Student Group approval right now?

CC: Yes.

SB: Because they also sent us the student group application. So are they not asking for money?

CC: They're asking to become a student group under SASSH and part of that application includes a proposed budget for proposed programming. So they have submitted it as part of their application to be a student group. I guess because of the timing in the year, I guess, they, the process is a little bit different.

KA: They have to be a group for a year before they get a chit.

CC: It's not necessarily an approval of that budget because when these events are going to be happening, they will have to come to you and do either a Funding Committee presentation or come to the Board depending on the amount they're asking for, at which time you get to assess the proposed budget again. Right now, just take these as estimates, but the overall goal is do you want to approve them as a Student Group under SASSH.

Item 4.2 - Student Group Application [Voting Period] (6:46PM)

Motioned by: CC Seconded by: LPL
In Favour: 15 Against: 0 Abstentions: 0

Item 5.0 - Financial Updates [Presentation] (6:47PM)

KA: Don't worry, guys. My presentation's also really short. Today is National Toast Day. So we're gonna be looking at our bread. Today's presentation is gonna be a little bit shorter just because I presented already two weeks ago and a lot of the big expenses haven't actually come in yet, so it's kind of a weird, downward period. As usual, the blue line represents last year and the green represents this year. 32% of our total budget has been spent as of today. This is how February is looking like. It is a little bit lower than it was last year, but that's also because all **SPROUT** expenses have yet to come in. And some cool upcoming events like Women Talks and Gala so it'll likely be going up. I'd be interested

to see if it goes up higher than last year or if it'll be just relatively the same, but that's something that we will look into. Just some small expenses from FYC. Good job, CR, 44%. Next, we have operations, just some small expenses towards software and service subscriptions, because we always have the use of those services. So 18% there, finance, expenses everywhere for Finance Assistant, for project funding, and for groups using their Student Group accounts so lots of money there. Events, we got some orientation expenses this week that we're reflected, so we do have some big big numbers coming in. But these are just some expenses that came in, and then, of course, some small social event expenses. Kaleidoscope, nothing has come in as of yet. I'm pretty sure most of the expenses have come in. I think there's just a couple more. Marketing, nothing here, corporate, nothing here, community, nothing here, but SPROUT will probably go up a lot next month. IDEA, nothing here, and student engagement, nothing there. So, really, it's just kind of our day to day, without any big events, kind of finance updates. So, that's our finance updates.

Item 5.1 - Financial Updates [Question and Discussion Period] (6:50PM)

LPL: What expenses?

KA: We can look into the report later to look at the specific ones. I don't know the specific ones yet, but, um, it was, like, a bunch of them were stacked together, so we can definitely look into it, though.

LPL: Is my half deposit reflected in that statement?

KA: Which half deposit?

LPL: For the Fairmont.

KA: No. That has not come in yet.

Item 6.0 - Board Updates (6:51PM)

CC: Last but not least, we've got Board Updates. So feel free to open the board update document in the agenda. Like we always do, I'm going to go through the document. If there's anything you want to highlight, please feel free to do so, but don't feel like you need to read every bullet point you've put in the document either. So that's why the document exists for people to go read it.

NN: I have a few things. First off, congrats **Tenlo**, he's obviously not here but for those returning next year, he's a pleasure to work with so congrats to him out there in the world. For those interested, I have a link here to the Common Thread Lunch party. You're all invited. All you need to do is put in your TMU email and fill out your accessibility or dietary restrictions if necessary, but a simple sign up. It's on Tuesday, April 7th from 2 to 5 PM, if you're interested. It's mainly a social event, so it'll be fun. In terms of marketing, I did message the group chat a few times about takeovers. I think we still have 2 signups so there's 3 spots left. It's for next week, so if anyone's still interested, it's Monday, Wednesday, and Friday that are still there. So, for anyone interested in taking over the Instagram story. If you have any questions, you could let either me or AS know, but I think that's all for me.

BR: The only thing that I would like to highlight is in regards to SPROUT, I did have a conversation with some of the contestants afterwards, and, yeah, I've known a few recommendations, some things they liked, some things they didn't like, so I'll be compiling that, and then sending it to AL, so that he can pass it on for his successor for next year.

YT: We booked Thomas Lounge for Woman Talks on March 9th. Right now, I'm just focusing on food and AV order. We're working on the Gala stuff too. I submitted the P-Card form for the Thomas Lounge booking this morning. That should be it.

EP: Just want to say that I've been talking to **Emmie** a lot, who's uncontested so far for LIR Director. Very exciting. He's a pleasure to work with. Just excited to see how the next board plays out.

MS: SPROUT happened. More of a question, I had a few people who are interested in the director of philosophy next year. There were some scheduling issues I think. One didn't know they had to attend the session and the other one didn't attend the session because he was at SPROUT. People have been reaching out to me about that. I'm not really sure what to do. I just told them to email you JAG, but is there going to be a by-election or are they going to be appointed or something like that?

JAG: Depending on the next year's board, it's up to them whether they're going to go through appointment or a by-election.

RV: It's the same way we do recruitment.

JAG: It will depend whether they want it before AGM or before the may retreat. Okay. So it will depend entirely on them. I would just say stay tuned.

SB: Also in contact with the upcoming sociology director, **Andreas**. He's also uncontested, so excited for him. Um, Next week, we're doing a kindness fund tabling on March 5th in the SLC is not really for the kindness fun. It's just, one of our committee members wanted to do, like, a kind fund initiative where you can write kind words on a poster board. So if you guys are free to come by you can. And, um, we're in the works of planning for Alterna Savings on March 16th. So stay tuned for that.

LPL: Did you get my new graphics request?

AS: Yes.

RV: When are the keychains coming?

AS: We have to find a new vendor. We reached out to them today to get a new quote, and the, like, since the day of us ordering or when we sent the payment through if we ever do so, it's going to be at least 3 months to get it made and shipped so it's not going to be in our term. I'll convince the next VP. Don't worry.

MM: I just want to say that the directors, for your course unions and student groups, I think they've already shared the information link for the year in review. So just make sure they fill it out by tomorrow, and if they have any issues, they can reach out to **MK** about it.

LPL: Women Talks has had an RSVP form go live. I don't know if you guys have Instagram posts, great job AS, NN, and team. The RSVP link is there and so far we have 5 people. Let's get those numbers up. If you know any women, you should let them know. Celebrating Success is happening on March 13th at Joeys from 5-8PM once we get that contract finalized. It is going to be a great night with a ton of great panelists as well as alumni audience members. If you want to network, enjoy a great meal, and listen to how people were able to achieve great success out of TMU, check out the RSVP at that link there. The Art Showcase is the next part of Art Smarts that we're working on with JAG's SEC team, more details on that are to come. And then the Gala, the deposit, finally has been paid. I am so happy, and we can get to work any day now, and I just wanted to let you all know that the theme is going to be a Royal Gala, the decor is going to be kind of centered around reds, purples, royal blue, gold, silver.

RV: Women Talks slowly starts with little participants and it goes up.

LPL: Make sure you tell all the women you know.

SB: Just so I'm pointing out that the Celebrating Success form in your updates, the RSVP form is the woman's talk form.

LPL: Oh, It's the right form. It's the wrong title. I will change it.

KA: There are some deadlines on there, especially if you are a Director, please let them know that cheque requisitions need to be submitted by March 20th. If anybody from any group needs help, please reach out to us and we are more than happy to do that. March 20th is the deadline. For the Board, invoices need to be submitted by March 31st so if there are things that are later, that's fine but let's try and get everything by March 31st.

NN: Let's say I make a purchase because I have an event coming up. The Common Thread actually. If I make a purchase on April 7th and I need to get reimbursed, how does that work?

KA: It can still work. You just have to let me know. It's for this fiscal year. After that, I'd go on to the next fiscal year, but that means that we'd have to work a little bit differently after that. Just let me know, but any events that are after still can happen.

RV: First of all, round of applause for **MS** for such an amazing SPROUT this year, I was really happy. A lot of students were very excited to present their answers and even if they did not win, they still said they were grateful for the opportunity. Grant applications are officially open. Shoutout to **AZ** and **MM** for working on it. **AZ** is doing a great job responding with questions, if you know anyone who wants free money, let them know that our Grant applications are open. I'm meeting with OVPS and TMU Finances somewhere mid-March, they never gave me any specific dates so good on their end and with the other Presidents. Our terms are almost up, 58 days counting right now. The finish line is almost there, but that doesn't mean that we have no work left, because as many events as **LPL** mentioned are coming up and there's also different initiatives that are on the way. Please take the time to not only help everyone where they need the help but also making sure you set up your transition documents because we want to make sure that the Board following us is prepared and feels supported no matter what. I was in the position where I did not get that and it was really bad, I want to make sure that this year we keep on going with how we support the future Boards. Tomorrow's the last day to vote for SASSH elections. No matter if you're graduating or not. As a POG myself, democracy is the most important part of any society. There are people that are contested, Directors and Execs, and it's important that we use our right to vote as also our student levy is going towards SASSH. We also want to make sure that the next Board

comes along and there's no vacancies. Board Member of the Month. There are two director initiatives that have been going on. Congratulations to **SB** and **CR**. **CR's** amazing efforts in FYC coordination and **SB's** efforts on the Kindness Fund and all that has been going on. Shout out to both of them. I don't have cupcakes but at the next Board Meeting, you have my word. Happy almost birthday to **MM**.

LPL: I just have a question regarding your updates. What do you plan to talk about during the meeting with the OVPS and the President?

RV: In that meeting, we were kind of discussing it with all of the Presidents of the societies so far. First of all, those meetings usually go on with introductions on how our winter semesters have been going and they give us very limited time which leaves me a little bit upset but they did just cancel the first timing for this meeting so what can I expect from Head Office. After, we kind of talk about what the future is for our organizations. This is my second meeting with Lachemi but I'm assuming he is going to talk about how we're preparing the next Board. Then there is current issues as well. I know many of you are aware of what has been happening with the University. I know you have also gotten an email on your SASSH accounts from someone regarding cuts and also the tuition spikes. Just being aware of how this may affect the future. All of the Presidents have been discussing how we haven't been reached out to by a lot of students in each Faculty. Our jobs are to represent those voices of the students, whether they like what we are going to say or not. That is the truth because no one likes paying more for tuition. We are going to bring that matter up and in the words of the Creative School President, just being very blunt about it. We are still discussing other things, we are very disappointed in how they presented themselves this year just because we have seen little to no engagement from OVPS which we really wish we had more, but I get it. I think it's because Lachemi is retiring this year, I guess they are slacking and being very lacklustered. Our job as student leaders is to voice our concerns and the concerns of the students and if it's being real with OVPS, then so be it.

LPL: I would recommend you reconsider what you are going to say about OSAP to the President's Office. Each and every President's Office has sent multiple letters to the Ontario Government praising them for their work and changes and I think we can take a much smarter approach rather than having complaints that fall ultimately on deaf ears. I think the increase to tuition, whether or not we agree on it or not, is a political policy and in the past, SASSH has chosen not to take stances on political issues. I think we as a Society represent University issues but when it comes to political issues that don't affect the entire student body, this is only domestic students so it kind of alienates a large percentage of international students who have faced tuition hikes because of our tuition caps. I don't think that it's very wise to act like we are acting as a mouthpiece to the students when not all the students share this opinion. I understand you are very passionate about this issue, I do, but I think we need to be smarter when it comes to how do we approach the President's Office in a way that makes us more successful as a student society because we can be utilizing this time to be like, there is a 2% yearly increase in tuition, how is that affecting our levies? How are we getting our 2% out of that levy fee and I feel like that would be a much better use of our time rather than having complaints that, at the end of the day, they don't share with us and they are not going to.

RV: No matter if our complaints, I wouldn't call them complaints, fall in deaf ears. It is the duty of, in the Constitution, the President to voice students' opinions, whether it's a small minority or majority. We are an advocacy group, that is what SASSH is and that has always been what SASSH is.

LPL: Point of information, we are a student society.

RV: No, we're an advocacy group. No matter what happens, even if it is out of our control, we don't go silent when there are things we cannot decide on. That is not what voicing our opinions is. We are all in Liberal Arts, we all understand the importance of speaking out regardless if we are in control or not. I'm not the only one that shares this opinion, it's all the other society Presidents who have spoken out on this and clearly there is something that we want to see differently and regardless if it's deaf ears or not, we want to voice our opinions. As I say, I don't see raising tuition as a political issue. I see it as coming out of our pockets, and that is not really a political issue. Cost of living rises, grocery rises, it's not political. It's expensive. If students are saying that they want to see something come out of the President's Office, then it is our duty to ask from that no matter what.

SX: It's OSAP that this is affecting government funds. We are non-partisan as a student group. I think there are ways to speak about the way that it is affecting students by enforcing things like bursaries, grants, what we can provide the students rather than taking this stance.

RV: It's also the tuition hikes after unfreezing the cap that they had on Universities. As much as that's government decisions, it's also the University's decision as well. What we are doing is not just to complain but to see what the University has planned to support students, what we want to see them do in the future regardless if it's raising tuition or dealing with OSAP. It's seeing what the University has in mind for students.

SX: I just think whatever we do, it has to be from a united front. Whatever you choose to do has to be in accordance with every single person in this room.

YT: I just wanted to mention that I understand where you are coming from, advocating for the students. I feel like it's going to look like we only care about the domestic students because recently, I think about two years ago, there was a cap on international students but no President talked with OVPS about it or anything like that even though we do have a large international student population. In the past, we have had lots of international students on the Board, we have never brought that issue up to the President. With the tuition increases, as we all know, a lot of the funding that Universities get, majority of it is paid for by international students. When those tuition hikes were happening, no society Presidents went to Lachemi or OVPS to voice their concerns so I feel like by voicing our concerns when it's affecting only domestic students, I feel like now it's starting to look like we only care about students born in Canada essentially. Two, we have had a tuition cap for eight years now, I believe since 2018. I feel like from the start, a tuition cap is never a long term solution just because year after year, expenses and costs increase so therefore the University does need more funding over time. By having a tuition cap on their domestic students, we start to rely too much on our international students to cover the cost that domestic students are reaping the benefits of. We know a lot of international students are paying a lot in tuition, they are also working 1-2 jobs just to sustain themselves, and a lot of the benefits that the University provides domestic students are taken advantage of which is their right. I feel like the elimination of the tuition freeze was something that most people would expect to be coming soon just because the cap isn't a long term solution.

RV: I'll just respond directly to those points. On the whole international thing, I was not on the Board two years ago. If I was, I would have made a stance.

YT: You were on the Board when it happened. You were the POG Director.

RV: I was not the President. I did not have direct connections with OVPS.

YT: You were still in a position where you could have explained your concerns to the President and convinced them to come. I was at every Board Meeting.

RV: I was not President. The role of President is to be that voice towards OVPS and the President. Going to your point of the tuition freeze. I'm not here to talk about whether tuition freezes are sustainable short term and long term goal. I'm only here to advocate what is in the minds of our students and they don't like the tuition hike. Plain and simple. I'm not going to tell the University how to run their finances, I'm not going to tell them what solutions to bring forth, I'm just going to ask them what are you going to do to support us.

LPL: What you are outlining here **RV** are valid issues but they are very personal. I think you need to understand that we are a student society and we represent all the students unified. We can't go and advocate for a certain proportion of students to continue getting rewards that have put this University at a financial deficit and put international and other students in financial burdens because they are picking up our slack. I think that is tone deaf and honestly not very conducive to having a unified student body. I think what really needs to be done here is a board wide conversation about what you want to be said and instead of taking unilateral position based on a few emails, having a direct conversation with your Board on what needs to be said because I think there is a much better way to approach this then the current direction you are choosing based off that one email that I think everyone got from that advocacy group. Again, we are not a political organization **RV**, and that organization is very politically affiliated. We try to keep politics as much out of things as possible, that's why we went to City Councillors who are non-partisan in nature. I think taking a partisan stance now doesn't advance the cause in any way and alienates part of our student body.

RV: I don't see it as a personal issue. Never have I said that this is personal.

LPL: Point of information, sorry, I didn't say it was personal to you, I'm saying these are people's personal issues. These are people's personal problems with the changes to OSAP because it is.

RV: That's OSAP. There are tuition hikes that are happening and it's not a personal matter.

LPL: Point of information. The tuition increases are 2% per year for the next three years for those who are unaware. The three years annualize with inflation. What that means is if you pay \$5,000 per tuition this year, your tuition will go up by \$100 the next year.

RV: Still an increase. Regardless of that. I am only here to voice concerns and any President who comes into this Board and follows knows that that is their responsibility to speak on issues.

LPL: Point of information. We should also add the other part of this announcement that also came which is a \$6.4 billion investment into Colleges and Universities because of this tuition change. Singlehandedly bringing most Colleges and Universities out of debt.

CC: I'm seeing lots of hands in my peripheral. **LPL**, I know you got lots to say and the information is valid, it's factual information, I am just going to ask you to raise your hand if you can just because there are some new speakers who want to get their voices heard as well and you have had lots to share which is great, so I am just going to ask you to pause for a second, let's let **RV** finish, we've got a bit of a speakers list, then if you would like to add to it please just raise your hand.

RV: Regardless of that. That advocacy group, they can do whatever they want. My main focus is whatever all the other Presidents decided and it's what their student bodies are advocating for and that is going and talking to OVPS about our concerns. At the end of the day, that's why we are here. We are here to support our students, if they want to see advocacy, this is what advocacy is.

CC: As a reminder, we are not voting on anything. This is just President Updates and a discussion. We will let the reminder of the speaker's list go and then maybe talk about some options for next steps.

KA: Definitely I think a Board conversation would be good in terms of figuring out what the next steps are. Also, I think maybe the conversation could be framed as bringing up concerns that students are having because if it's the President of the University, they should definitely be hearing from the students directly and if we are representing students, we should definitely let those concerns go. We don't have to put a position on it, we can just let them know that hey, this is what students are saying, this is just information we are providing them. It doesn't mean we have to take a stance on anything.

YT: I just want to talk a bit about what you said earlier about how you weren't President back then. I think from our first terms, me, you, and **MM** were all on the Board together then last year, me, you, **MM**, and **AS** were all on the Board together and we were all very close with our previous Presidents. If you were really passionate about it, you could have easily brought it up during one of our Board Meetings or one of your Director Check-Ins or one-on-ones last year but you didn't. I'm not trying to say you don't care about us, I'm not trying to pin you as a bad guy, I'm just saying that we have never got involved in OSAP funding or things of that nature in the past. I feel like if you are going to talk about representing yourself, I am all for that, but when you are meeting with OVPS and the President, you are representing the Board itself so all of our names are attached to it. If you are going to talk about something like this, the whole Board should have a voice and discuss what you are going to be talking about. At the end of the day, you are also representing us, you can't just go off and say whatever your opinion is or whatever you want to say, you need to discuss it with the Board first because whatever you say, OVPS is going to see that as what the SASSH Board as a whole thinks. If you are going to go and talk about it, we as a Board should have a proper in-depth discussion about it to figure out what you want to talk about and see how we all want to be represented.

SX: Just a question. Say Lachemi and OVPS don't like the perspective you come from or disagree with it, how are you going to respond to that? How do you think you are going to fix that relationship if it affects it because we are for students so if it affects our relationship it also affects the relationship with the students.

RV: First, I won't be the only one going up and seeing what they want to do. It's all the President's. Whether they alienate me or they alienate everyone, I don't think they would because we are not coming from a stance but rather we want to take initiative and what the University is going to do to help students.

YT: Point of information. At least to my knowledge of the TRSS President, they are not planning on raising this issue to OVPS. I heard you say all the President's so just wanted to clear that.

RV: It's not just going to be me. We're not taking a stance here on whether we agree or disagree, we just want to see what the University is going to provide for support for students in the coming years with these changes. It's nothing of a partisan stance.

SX: You are still bringing up something. They may like it, they may not. If they don't, if they view you differently, how do you plan to respond to that and fix that relationship in the future because you are not coming back next year. How are you going to keep that relationship civil for the future Board?

RV: It's hard to see where they do ever come to us and be like we don't like that response.

LPL: Point of information. Every University President's Office is in favour of these changes. They have sent letters to the Provincial Government, I have seen the letters.

RV: It's rare to see that this will ever damage any relationship just because we are not telling them what to do, we are asking them what they are going to do to support students. In the event of that happening, it's just working closely with OVPS to see what they want to see from us and what they want to see for future Boards. I don't see that ever happening and damaging relationships with the other societies.

LPL: I'd like to start off by saying that I'm glad to see you change your plan and say that you are not going to say that you outright don't like it because that is what you initially started out by saying, that is good to hear. I just want to know now exactly what it is you are going to say because at the end of the day, this is a very politically sensitive issue and it does affect a lot of our reputations as SX mentioned previously. I think the best way to go forward about this is to create a written statement that you plan to share with the President's Office and if you can get the President's you say are on board with this to sign off on it, we can have a review of it as a Board. RV, I'd like you to know that while you are the President, you are the President of a Board of 20 people who have different opinions than you. You need to represent those opinions accurately so we need to, as a Board, review what you are going to say.

RV: I agree on the written statement, I don't agree on the other President's signing as they may have their own.

LPL: The reason I say that is because you are going to be having a meeting together and I assume that you all are going to be on the same page right?

RV: Yeah but I'm not going to make them sign something I am saying. I'm not going to make them do that, that's just not right.

LPL: Are they all opposing or are they not?

RV: They are in discussion but I am not going to make them sign a statement I am saying. They could decide how they want to approach the situation and say. I think you should ask these questions to the other President's.

LPL: You are putting your personal statement out there and you are refusing to have it backed by anyone because it's your personal statement based on how you feel and what you see. I think that is a little bit irresponsible and it doesn't project ourselves as a group that speaks for all students, it's a group that speaks on advocacy issues which at the end of the day is not the role of student societies but rather the role of student advocacy groups.

JAG: This is more of a reensuring statement. I do have experience with this one. Back in 2020, we did speak up against OVPS and the President. I said things that I stood by, the Board stood by. Just wanted to reassure that your Board has its own reputation, therefore it will not impact the next Board. Whatever you do is only on your Board. My Board's decision did not impact CC's and just wanted to reassure that. All of you are your own Board, that is why you are the

2025-2026 team and then we will move on with the next one. Don't worry about your particular reputation or SASSH's reputation.

CC: Thank you **JAG** and everyone who participated in this discussion, the updates, and for folks who had things they wanted to share, thank you for sharing. I'm getting the sense that folks want to have some sort of additional conversation about what is going to be brought forward to OVPS and the President's Office, that is not a decision I make so I will just share words here that if someone wants to initiate, not at this Board Meeting tonight, but for future Board discussions, other meetings taking place, as such I would suggest we talk about what that plan wants to be maybe perhaps with your Manager, we can use five minutes tonight.

LPL: Can I just say one more statement for the record? During the Executive Meeting last Tuesday, **RV** said he would have a discussion with the Board and it has forced me to ask this conversation out of him. He chose not to and now we are having this conversation instead. Instead of it being a voting matter, it's an informal conversation.

CC: It seems like people need to discuss this more, voices, opinions, perspectives, want to be fleshed out a little bit more and put into whatever is going to be packaged for this meeting with OVPS and the President's Office. I would suggest that folks who are particularly interested and passionate about getting involved in this to discuss with your President, Manager, Vice President of Operations as getting this as an Agenda item in an upcoming Board Meeting and working through the ways SASSH would like to put some sort of statement or script for your President together. I'm not entirely sure what that process is but you folks have the ability to do that.

SB: We are not moving forward with this conversation?

CC: This conversation right now is not a voting matter but rather part of RV's updates that folks had some questions about and it generated a strong discussion. What RV is bringing to this meeting with OVPS was not an individual item on the Agenda tonight. If someone here feels like it should be so that the Board can discuss more thoroughly the statement, the items that are going to be presented at that meeting, any one of you is welcome to request that that be part of the Agenda in an actual voting motion. Not for tonight's Board Meeting but a future one.

SB: Just a follow up question. **RV**, I know we are not unanimous on this so if the other societies or President's do go through with it, are they still going to mention our name?

RV: They are writing their own. This is why I am not making people sign my statement because they are doing their own thing so I can't speak on their behalf. They said that they will speak on their behalf. Not my area.

CC: I will trust that folks on the Board will decide what they want to do. If folks want to bring it forward, bring it forward, if not, then not.

LPL: **RV**, what do you take away from this conversation? What is your plan moving forward?

RV: I will work on a document and I will see what everyone wants. It sucks because I don't know when this meeting is happening. OVPS never gives me a specific date so I don't know when I am going to be meeting with them, I don't know what time, I don't know what date. I will try to gather as much information as I can from everyone on what they want to see and hear and what they don't want to hear but I think that is the process of it right now because it is still in the works.

CC: Action item. **RV** is going to do some form of outreach to you folks to see what you would like to have included in this forthcoming meeting with OVPS and the President's Office. Action item on everyone else's part is to fill out the form, contribute to the doc, whatever it is, if there is something you would like to ensure is on that Agenda. Any final questions for anything else? I'll turn to your Manager for Manager updates.

JAG: Very quick. Please read that document and I will send an email out to those folks and copy the rest of the Board. D2L is back up which I think you should be receiving notifications for it. I sent out the Broadbent application form and got way too many responses way too quickly which is really good. Board of Directors elections ends tomorrow at 4pm, please remind people to vote, low voter turnout. The month after, Course Union Elections, so please encourage folks. We are going to add more info sessions but that is going to be the priority. Don't forget, your rough draft is due tomorrow for the transition or if you have your own separate transition doc please send that to me. Thank you SB and NN for sending that to me. That's it.

SX: When do we find out election results?

JAG: The candidates and luckily you as a Board will get copied on that email when I tally up the results some time tomorrow night. You cannot share that information publicly live on Monday via email and on the Arts TMU Instagram account and D2L.

NN: I just had a question about the Course Union elections just for my team. I noticed that there is a nomination period but previously, in my experience of campaigning, we never had to collect nominations for Course Union elections so I just wanted to clarify.

JAG: It's more of I affirm that, confirmation of candidacy.

Item 7.0 - Action Items (7:38PM)

Item 8.0 - Adjournment (7:39PM)